Leelanau Women Artists, (LWA) is an organization created to promote Leelanau County women in the arts through education, exhibition, professional development and documentation. Founded in 2010 with a Grant from Genuine Leelanau Charitable Fund to create a website for the purpose of promoting Leelanau County women artists.
- Create a network of collectors, dealers and artists.
- Professional development.
- Publicize information about the artists and events through the website.
- Produce quality exhibitions of our work.
- Facilitate marketing of members work locally and nationally.
- Residing full or part time in Leelanau county
- Artist working with professional Intent
- 9 artwork images for website - along with title, medium and size
- 1 photo of artist
- Contact information - phone, email and website address
- Artist Statement
- Artist Interview
- $25 Application Fee
- $60 Annual Fee
- Contribute 25 email contacts to our list to be used for group marketing efforts.
- Acceptance pending steering committee approval
- General Membership - is capped at 20 women who live (or have lived) in the Leelanau County, and are working artists interested in promoting & selling their work in galleries & shows, as well as promoting each other as artists.
- Steering Committee – Comprised of five members who will be elected annually by the general membership, to include a president, secretary & treasurer, plus two at-large members. Two-year terms will be staggered to provide leadership continuity.
- Standing Committees
- Recruitment & Jury - 2 to 3 members will be responsible for recruiting appropriate new candidates for membership, and 2 to 3 members will guide prospective members through the jury process and determine if the candidate’s work is appropriate for LWA. Renie Cutler is the primary contact at email@example.com
- Publicity – 2-3 members will be responsible for promoting the shows, the web site & other social media marketing.
- Events – 2 to 3 members will responsible for planning each show or event, including venue, date/time scheduling, and event management.
- Meetings - Six monthly meetings will be held from 4:00 to 6:00pm on the second Monday of May through October, (all meetings are required for the Steering Committee) The secretary will send an email reminder approximately one week before each meeting. Two of these meetings per year (spring & fall) are required for the full membership. Minutes from all meetings will be emailed by the secretary to all of the membership. Meetings for the working committees will be determined by those committees.
- Communications - The primary form of communications for all LWA activities will be email, and all members are responsible for promptly reading & responding to email messages.
- Responsibilities - Members are in good standing when they are current with their dues obligation, attend as many meetings as possible during the year, and contribute the time and energy to promote our collaborative artistic activities. All members must serve on at least one committee each year.
- Costs - Annual dues are $60, payable by March 15th. Members who fail to pay promptly each year will forfeit their membership and their web site exposure.
- Web Site - Members will provide an artist’s statement and up to twelve images of their work to be included in the LWA web site to promote the organization, plus links to all personal web sites for an administrative fee of $25.
- Art Show & Sale - The membership is encouraged to exhibit in 1 or 2 art shows each year. Two exhibiting members will organize & co-chair each show. All members exhibiting are responsible for attending the show & sharing the cost of the show including refreshments, marketing, facility rental, and miscellaneous expenses. Non-exhibiting members are encouraged to assist with setup & hosting activities.